TOHAKU Small 6 Piece Box Set
or make 4 interest-free payments of $14.75 AUD fortnightly with More info
6 x plant based handcrafted modern ritual candles crafted from HAZE (sumac) wax. This unique wax dramatically changes colour over time (as seen in image 4).
Approximate size | Diameter 1.6cm
80-minute burn time.
Perfect for use with the small KOMA candle stand.
TOHAKU is a homage to "The Pine Trees Screen," drawn by Tohaku Hasegawa, one of the most famous painters in Japan. The pine trees in the painting depict the landscape of Nanao City, and Tohaku-san created this artwork while recollecting his memories of the beautiful nature of his childhood home. The flame is an extension of the gentle lines of these trees, reminding the viewer of a rustic simplicity.
Traditional WA-ROUSOKU or Japanese candle handcrafted in Nanao, Ishikawa by artisan candle makers Takazawa Candle, established in 1892. Eco friendly WA-ROUSOKU are crafted from plant-based raw materials such as the fruit of HAZE (sumac) tree, rice bran, canola flower oil, and from the fruits of the URUSHI tree. The TAKAZAWA candle flame burns bigger and brighter due to the structure of the unique wick which is much thicker in diameter than western offerings and when extinguished, releases only a very subtle odour.
(The wick is made by wrapping dried material from a plant of the Juncaceae family referred to as 'lamp wick' or rush weed around washi shaped into a cylinder. This way of making wick allows air to pass up from the lower part of the candle through the wick's hollow center, in addition to enabling the wick to absorb more melted wax, which in turn improves combustion and gives the candle a large, powerful flame).
How to burn a candle safely
1. Japanese candles burn with a large, bright flame. Keep the candle at a safe distance from other items and do not place flammable items above the candle.
2.Candles will melt if left in warm places such as a car in summer, etc. Store them in cool places out of direct sunlight.
1. Use a candlestick that is the correct size for the candle. Secure the candle up right making sure it doesn't wobble, and light it in a place out of reach of wind and breezes.
2. A white powder may appear on the surface of WA-ROUSOKU. This is a trait unique to plant-based wax and occurs when the wax crystallizes. It is not a quality defect.
3. Please note you do not need to push down a candle until it reaches at the bottom of a holder. When a candle stops and does not go down any further, it is the right place.
4. Warm up wax left on the candlestick with warm water, melt, and rinse. Wipe the candlestick with a soft cloth and make sure to dry the candlestick completely before using it again.
1. While the candle is burning, cut the black burnt part of the wick down to adjust the size of the flame. A specialist wick trimmer is recommended for this. Melted wax may splatter if you extinguish the candle by blowing it out.
2. Do not place lit candles close together. Heat from one candle may cause the wax of a nearby candle to melt and run. Keep candles within your line of sight.
3. Do not leave a room without fully extinguishing the flame of any lit candles.